What takes a makeup look from mediocre to absolutely stunning? Flawless complexion makeup is the cornerstone. Right now I am swooning over that glowing bronzed finish, however the summertime humidity does require a specific technique to ensure the makeup does not feel heavy and lasts all day.
Everyone has favorite products based on their skin type but I am excited to share my favorite products and the routine that has been working for me this summer.
1) Prep and prime. Start with freshly cleansed skin. Moisturize with Ponds Clarant B face cream. When it is fully absorbed into the skin massage a primer into the skin.
2) Liquid foundation. Recently I have been using a foundation that is slightly darker than my complexion because I am more tanned. With my fingers I massage a dime sized amount into my skin. Be sure to blend excess down onto the neck area.
3) Colour correct and conceal. Apply a small amount of orange colour corrector under the eye area and blend out with a damp beauty sponge to neutralize dark circles. Next use a concealer two shades lighter than your complexion over the colour corrected area, also apply a small amount on middle of forehead and chin area. Blend out with a damp sponge.
4) Set. Use setting powder of choice (mine are either Ben Nye Banana Powder or Sacha Buttercup Powder). You can use a sponge or a medium sized powder brush to press to powder over the highlighted areas. Then I set the rest of my face with a powder that matches my complexion.
Now you should be left with a perfected and highlighted complexion, without having used the extra layer of bronzer. Time to add the glow!
5) My absolute favorite highlighter of all time! **Drum roll** …..NYX Blush in Copper! I know!
Amidst the sea of high end highlighters there is this affordable gem of a bronze glowing blush that is the perfect highlighter for medium to dark complexions. I apply it liberally on my the middle of my forehead, down my nose, on the high points of my cheeks and also on my chin.
This gem is available at Paradise Beauty in both their Broad Street and Sheraton Centre branches for only $15!
6) Blush baby! I add blush after highlighter because I find it helps the highlighter blend better with the rosiness of the blush. I opt for one with a matte finish because we already have a lovely bronzed glow and it looks more balanced.
7) Setting spray. All of my regular clients are probably going to read this and hear my voice in your head; “close your eyes, hold your breath and try not to squeeze your eyes together”. Then spray your favorite setting spray over the masterpiece you just created!
There we have it! The stepping stone to a gorgeous makeup look. You can easily end the makeup journey here and just add some lipstick or gloss; or you could go all out and add some eyeshadow and lashes.
Let me know about your favorite summertime foundation products!